From workshops to special reading sessions, check out our regular events and join in the fun of shared reading.
Your local groups
We have new shared reading groups starting all the time. Check to see if there is a shared reading group running in your local neighbourhood.
- By Freda (reading group member) - Freda's been attending a reading group for a couple of years now. Here, she reflects on how she came to be in the group and what it's meant to her. I was finding it frustrating that I couldn’t read. With dyslexia, when I was under...read more
- By Christopher Smith - "It struck me that as I deny acknowledgement to someone living on the street, I deny an expression of a part of myself. As I walk past pretending not to see them, I am also pretending that I am above them somehow, that we are not – in essence...read more
I am beginning to understand that my reactions to what people say and do are to do with the ways in which I have been conditioned – that when I am triggered I have a choice between identifying with the flood of thought and emotion that emerges, or observing it and letting goread more
- By Sara Fawcett - “…it made me almost feel free. Like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I found myself talking to people I hadn't talked to before and it wasn't just normal talking. There was a banter and witty jokes shared between us, open discussions about...read more
- By Mary Houghis - “…I thought that I could not get back into nursing, shared reading has changed that…” Mary has been attending shared reading groups for around 6 months. In that time she has connected with others and found new motivation, purpose and...read more
- By Christopher Smith - “After the reading group I feel more connected, alert and alive” Freda B Fischer is new to shared reading, but in a few short weeks has experienced its powerful effects. Freda speaks of the experience of hearing beautiful texts read...read more
- By Christopher Smith - Shared Reading is a social movement that brings people together to read out loud and discuss great stories and poems. This simple act has changed people’s lives — I should know, it changed mine. I remember reading the poem Digging by Seamus...read more
- By Susan Taktak - “…the people that we consider face the most barriers are the ones who are turning up every week…” I am an employment consultant and with my colleague Jacki Maissin have been trialling Shared Reading as part of my role at Break Thru People...read more
- By Alex Carbonetti - Literature was murdered for me in high school. The dissection of texts, the endless analysis of meaning and themes, seemed to destroy the joy of the act of reading and becoming immersed in the world of other people and other places. I loved...read more